Our restaurant has been around for a long time. Since our great grandfather, Hermann Hepe, purchased the impressive estate on December 31, 1910, it has been the family’s property for the fourth generation already.
In the beginning, young officers of the garrison town Torgau and their brides, as well as the youth from the large manors along the Elbe river, spent their free time here. In 1921, the guest house was fitted with electricity for which the majority of old trees, located in the park behind the house, had to be cut down.
After Hermann Hepe passed away, his son Hans took over the guest house. When he got drafted into the war, mother and daughter continued the work until 1966. Heiko und Heidemarie Hepe followed until 1990, which many guests still fondly remember today.
Since September 1990, Simone Hepe has been running the guest house expecting the fifth generation to follow in her footsteps. During the entire time after the war, grandfather Walter Hepe looked after the estate in the background. Together with his wife Charlotte he made sure to keep up the old family property.
A lot has changed in and around the house since the war. While the ballroom doubled as lodging for refugees and storage room after the war, it became more and more dilapidated and only reopened in 2004, after major construction and renovation. The kitchen, guest room and connecting rooms were freed from the dust of history with lots of hard work but also a lot of creativity.
In the guest room, a new wood burning stove has added to the coziness since the year 2000. A large beer garden, with century old linden and chestnut trees, invites you to stay and celebrate in the summer time. Due to the brick built oven and smoker, our homemade bread and freshly smoked fish, has turned our guest house into an insider recommendation beyond the town’s walls.